Do not use water to extinguish a grease fire. Pouring water on a hot grease or oil fire will not put it out. It will just cause the flaming oil to splatter about, spreading the grease fire. The best way to put out a grease fire is with a commercial fire extinguisher.
However, if you do have to put out a grease fire with water, then make sure that it's not too hot. Cold water is the most effective at putting out a grease fire. If there's no cold water available, then use cool water and soak everything in the area where the fire is burning for 10 to 15 minutes before trying to put it out with a fire extinguisher.
The heat from a grease fire can damage wooden furniture and clothing, so make sure that you don't pour water onto a hot grease fire if it's near anything flammable.
Oil burns very hot and fast, which means that it's likely to cause serious injury if it spills on someone. If you are cleaning an engine room or similar area where oil may be spilled, ensure that proper protective equipment is worn. This should include safety shoes, clothes without holes or loose threads, and a face mask. Make sure that you follow all instructions written on the packaging of any chemicals that might be used in your workshop.
Don't throw water on the flames! Because oil and water do not mix, adding water might cause the oil to splatter and further spread the fire. In reality, vaporizing water can contain grease particles, which might spread the fire.
Instead, call the fire department or go underground if you're working on an outdoor surface. The wetter the area, the faster the fire will die out.
Evacuate the area as soon as possible and dial 911. Fire extinguishers will be labeled with an image indicating the type of fire they are meant to fight. So, that's a lot of stuff, but here's the solution to your question: Water cannot be used to extinguish an oil or grease fire because oil is lighter than water. However, it can be used to put out a fire that has already started in something that can hold water, such as wood or cloth.
What Happens When You Pour Water on a Grease Fire? Even a little quantity of water thrown into a pan or deep fryer full of hot oil can settle to the bottom, superheat, and explode. The reason oils do not mix with water, according to Scientific American, is due to their characteristics. Oils and water have similar properties: they are both hydrophobic (they dislike water) and oleophilic (they like oil).
When you pour water into a hot oil pan, it causes steam to form immediately. This steam prevents any of the water from touching the oil until it reaches a temperature low enough for the water to dissolve in the oil rather than causing a fire. However, since oil is less dense than water, any small amount of water in the oil will cause it to overflow. This can lead to an explosion if there is also oxygen present in the room.
People have been pouring water into hot oil pans for entertainment purposes since at least 1876, when an innkeeper named George Mueller invented a device he called a "fountain." It was made out of metal and glass and looked like a large drinking fountain. He placed this device next to his hot oil pan so guests could enjoy watching the water explode into flames when they turned off the flame under the oil.
In 1910, an inventor by the name of Charles Fitch sold several patents related to mixing water and oil together to the Walt Disney Company.
Water molecules are polar, whereas oil molecules are nonpolar. As a result, water molecules resist oil molecules. In other words, they don't mix well with each other. When there is a lot of water in contact with oil, it becomes dangerous because the heat from the oil vaporizes some of the water, which produces more heat. The more water, the faster this process will go!
In fact, oil burns just like wood burns. It starts out as a small flame, and then pieces of burning material called "ash" are produced. This ash consists mainly of carbon. As the fire continues, more and more carbon atoms are exposed at the end of the ash. This means that more carbon atoms are available for burning, so more flames appear and the fire grows larger. Eventually, when there's not enough remaining fuel to continue burning, the fire goes out.
So, if you put water on an oil fire, what will happen? First, the water will cool off the oil, making it easier for you to control the fire. Second, the water will also absorb some of the flaming oil, reducing the amount of fuel left for the fire to burn. Finally, when the oil reaches about 140 degrees F, it will evaporate, leaving behind only water.
Turn off the heat source if a grease fire begins. Pour baking soda or salt on it to suffocate the fire if it's tiny and controlled. Spray the flames with a Class B dry chemical fire extinguisher as a last option. Do not use water to put out the fire. This will only spread the problem.
If you can't contain the fire, get everyone out of the house immediately. Close the doors and windows against smoke. Call the fire department for assistance.
The fire department will need access to all floors and rooms. Have them call your phone number first so you can tell them where the fire is.
Stay away from the stained clothing because they are likely to burn again later. Put aluminized blankets on top of the burned clothes to help prevent further burning.
Here are some things not to do if you find yourself in this situation: don't try to put out the fire with water, don't use chemicals without telling us, and don't go back into the house once you're out.
Remember, an unvented kitchen fire can grow quickly into a serious threat to your home and its occupants. Always keep grease traps empty and clean; never pour cooking oils down the drain. These practices will help ensure a safe cookout this summer.
If a grease fire breaks out,
When we sprinkle water on an oil fire, the oil floats to the "top" of the water and continues to burn. The raging fire will be extinguished by the flowing water. A person who sprays water on an electric fire may receive an electric shock. The same is true for people who put out cigarette fires with water; they should avoid coming into contact with the smoking remains.
The best way to control an oil or grease fire is with a sprinkler system or hose capable of delivering a full stream of cold water. Oil and grease are highly flammable substances that can smoke when heated enough. Cold water has a great tendency to put out hot flames and smokes. It is important that you not come in contact with any of these materials unless you have proper protective equipment such as gloves, boots, and a face mask.
If you do encounter an oil or grease fire, call the fire department immediately before trying to put it out yourself. They will teach you the correct procedures for dealing with this type of fire.