What foods can trigger seizures in dogs?

What foods can trigger seizures in dogs?

Nutmeg, a spice commonly used in sweets, might cause your pet to have tremors and seizures. Because the sugar replacement xylitol can induce insulin spikes in your pet, keep sugarless chewing gum, candies, medications, vitamins, condiments, certain peanut butters, and even mouthwashes out of reach. If you are using xylitol regularly for yourself or others in your home, consider having a blood test done by your veterinarian to make sure your pets are not at risk for developing issues with their metabolism.

Seizures can be triggered by certain foods or substances of animal origin. These include meat, fish, poultry, eggs, milk products, cheese, nuts, grains, vegetables, fungi, and yeast. The only two food items that should never be fed to a dog or cat during a seizure are potatoes and tomatoes because they contain chemicals that can increase the severity of symptoms.

If you are aware of any foods that may trigger your dog's seizures, it is important to avoid them until after his/her episode has passed. This will help prevent further episodes of epilepsy from occurring.

What foods trigger epileptic seizures?

Tea, coffee, chocolate, sugar, sweets, soft drinks, too much salt, spices, and animal proteins can cause seizures by abruptly disrupting the body's metabolism. Some parents have observed that their children's seizures appear to be triggered by allergic responses to particular meals (for example, white flour). Other possible triggers include infection (especially a cold), lack of sleep, and trauma to the head.

Food allergies may be responsible for an estimated 8% of childhood epilepsy cases. The most common food allergens associated with epilepsy are milk products, wheat, soy, citrus fruits, and eggs. Although rare, certain foods have been known to cause seizures when eaten alone or in combination with other foods: azuki beans, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, mustard, bran, and caffeine products such as tea, cocoa, and soda. A diet low in nutrients can also lead to immune system problems that can cause seizures. Poorly balanced diets are common in people with epilepsy who have seizure disorders caused by underlying medical conditions rather than allergies. Dietary deficiencies include vitamin B12, magnesium, zinc, and iron. These individuals need additional amounts of these nutrients in their diets to prevent seizures.

Symptoms of a food allergy include skin rashes, hives, diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue, fever, muscle aches, sore throats, coughs, or wheezing.

What candy is poisonous to dogs?

Xylitol is a naturally generated sugar alternative that is commonly found in sugar-free sweets and gum, as well as low-sugar foods such as peanut butter. It's also incredibly dangerous to dogs. The primary risk of xylitol is how it interacts with your dog's digestive system. Like sugar, xylitol enters the body quickly and can cause excessive saliva production, diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, and in severe cases, death.

The best way to prevent your dog from eating any harmful substances is by not giving him anything new to eat or drink. This includes chewing gum, which contains xylitol. Also avoid giving him items that have been around people who are sick, because viruses can be spread through saliva. If you notice your dog has eaten any toxic substance, call your vet immediately.

What in peanut butter is bad for dogs?

Xylitol Some peanut butter makers have recently turned to the sweetener xylitol. Sugar replacement xylitol is commonly found in sugar-free items such as chewing gum, toothpaste, breath mints, chewable vitamins, and baked goods. It is non-toxic to humans but poisonous to dogs. The same amount of xylitol that would kill a human dog's liver within a day. Without treatment, even small amounts of xylitol can be fatal to your dog.

Peanut oil Dogs who eat too much peanut butter may become bloated due to the excess oil content in peanuts. This condition is called panniculitis and it can cause pain when walking or wearing tight clothes. If your dog has this problem, limit his daily peanut butter intake to no more than 1 tablespoon of oil-packed roasted peanuts per pound of body weight.

Salt Although salt is needed by our bodies to function properly, too much of it can be harmful. Salt is added to most peanut butter products as a preservative because without it, they would go bad very quickly. Peanut butter is high in fat and calories so only add a little bit at a time to your dog. A large bowl of PB&J sandwiches can contain up to 20 grams of salt! That's almost a quarter of your dog's recommended daily allowance (RDA).

Does peanut butter make dogs sick?

Dogs can eat (and many really enjoy) peanut butter. But beware, some peanut butter brands contain an ingredient called xylitol, which is toxic to dogs, and even eating small amounts can be fatal. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is often used in foods to keep the product sugar-free. This particular type of peanut butter contains 31 percent xylitol.

Xylitol can be found listed on food labels as a natural preservative. It's been used for hundreds of years and is known to be safe for people to eat. But because dogs are prone to allergies, they may have a reaction to this common food additive. The most common symptom is diarrhea, but other symptoms include vomiting, low blood pressure, urination out of proportion to water consumption, and fainting. If you suspect your dog has ingested something toxic, call your veterinarian immediately.

Can I eat my dog's cookies?

Nutmeg, chocolate, raisins, and macadamia nuts are common human cookie components that are harmful to dogs. If your dog eats a sugar cookie or similar treat that is heavy in sugar, butter, and wheat but lacks the aforementioned elements, it is probably not poisonous, but it is unhealthy. The same principle applies to candy: If your dog eats it, he may enjoy it for its taste, but it will add calories to his diet and contain no nutrition.

Poisonous substances come in many forms, including liquids, powders, plants, and animals. Cookie dough, for example, contains fat, sugar, salt, and starch, all of which can be toxic if eaten in large quantities. Sugar in particular can cause liver problems over time, so it's best to keep canine guests away from cookies until they are cleaned up properly.

If you find something sweet on the ground, it's usually safe to assume that it was left by someone who wants you to know how much they love you and your house. However, if you don't want people leaving you gifts, then you should probably pick them up before your dog does!

The best way to prevent your dog from eating unwanted treats or other garbage is to ensure that his environment is not toxic. Keep sugary foods out of reach, and be sure to clean up after your dog so he doesn't come across these items accidentally.

About Article Author

Lynn Surface

Lynn Surface is a lover of all things home and design-related. She loves to create spaces that are inspiring and comfortable at the same time. Lynn has an eye for detail and the ability to know what pieces of furniture or decor can make or break a space.

Disclaimer

GrowTown.org is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Related posts