Unless someone can turn off the electricity or you are an acrobat who can jump from the lines to the pole, you must contact both the line and the pole at the same time. If you're dangling from a high voltage line (tens of thousands, not hundreds), merely touching a wooden pole at the same time as the power line might kill you,...or it might not. It depends on how long you stay that way.
The human body is made up of many small electrical components-capacitors that store energy like small batteries and resistors that limit current flow. When you touch a power line, these components get jolted back and forth between zero volts and a full voltage very quickly, which can cause them to leak charge or break down completely. This is why you should always wait for an authorized electrician to install power lines.
Here's how it works: when you touch a live power line, your body provides some resistance because everything has a negative side. This resistance creates a small current that flows through you and into the line. The line itself is also made of material with a positive and a negative side, so it acts as a wire from your hand to the next house and back again. The line will have an insulator between its metal parts to prevent you from being hurt by electricity if you reach out without letting go of it first.
Going too close to a live overhead line might cause a fatal flashover. It is not essential to come into contact with a power line to be harmful; voltages less than 230 volts can kill and hurt people; overhead power lines on wooden poles should not be mistaken with telephone cables; and low-level wires on buildings or underground vaults could be a hazard if they are not identified.
An electrical shock from a power line can result in death. Electricity travels along conductor bars, which are made of metal, inside the pole. If you touch one of these bars, you will get a serious shock. Overhead power lines on wooden poles include primary circuits that carry current from the transformer to the distribution terminals, and secondary circuits that carry current from those terminals back to the transformer. Electric power flows along these circuit paths. You should never work near a live power line unless it is being used for its intended purpose. Even if the line is not transmitting electricity, it can still deliver a shock if you are in its path.
People who work around power lines need to take special precautions against electric shocks. They must wear protective clothing and equipment. They must also know how to prevent an electric shock. For example, they should not stand under a bare wire hanging down from a building structure because this is a dangerous place to be. They should also not try to repair any part of a power line - even a dead one.
Because power wires are insulated, they are safe to touch. Power lines are not insulated, and you should avoid coming into contact with them at all costs. If you come into contact with electricity wires, you might get electrocuted. The best thing to do is not touch any metal objects while outside. This includes bike racks, tree branches, and anything else that may be lying around on the ground.
Power lines can reach up to 400 volts or more. If you touch one of these wires, you could get hurt or even killed. When working on bikes, always take precautions to prevent touching power cables. Use caution not to scrape against trees or other objects when riding because these things are likely to have power lines running through them. If you must cut down trees, make sure to keep clearance from any power lines.
Tree surgeons need to be careful not to touch power lines when cutting down trees. If they do happen to touch the wire, they should remove their hand quickly so as not to get hurt by an electrical shock. Tree surgeons should also wear protective clothing when working near power lines. These wires can cause serious injury if they come in contact with them.
It is important for everyone to be aware of power lines when out in the forest.