What stops fire other than water?

What stops fire other than water?

So carbon dioxide eliminates two of the three elements required for a fire. Carbon dioxide, unlike water, can not carry electricity, making it ideal for electrical fires. The most serious risk of utilizing carbon dioxide is asphyxia in enclosed areas. People who use this method should always wear protective gear including a face mask.

Carbon dioxide is a natural component of our atmosphere and is almost completely absent only during volcanic eruptions and large forest fires. Otherwise, it makes up more than 90% of the earth's air volume. It is also found in many other living things such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, flowers, and some types of algae. CO2 is a colorless gas that smells like candy or plastic. It is odorless when mixed with air but does have a slight taste due to its presence in many foods.

When exposed to heat, carbon dioxide will evaporate which can cause problems if it is not done properly. If the temperature is too high, the gas will disappear quickly causing major burns within seconds. On the other hand, if the heat source is kept at a low temperature, then the gas will slowly dissolve into the liquid state resulting in smoke inhalation injuries.

Fire extinguishers contain chemicals that break down carbon dioxide so it is important to keep them working. Without these chemicals, fire extinguishers become ineffective very quickly.

What is a water fire extinguisher best for?

Water fire extinguishers suppress flames by removing the heat element from the fire triangle. They are exclusively used for class A fires. They work well on class A, B, and C flames. Carbon dioxide extinguisher: Carbon dioxide extinguishers remove the oxygen element from the fire triangle. They are effective against class A, B, and some class C fires.

Carbon dioxide is inert gas that can be absorbed into a liquid such as water. It becomes carbonated water that can be sprayed onto a fire to put it out. Electrical equipment such as motors, wiring, and batteries should never be placed in contact with a carbon dioxide extinguisher because they will be damaged by the gas.

Halon 1301: Halon 1301 is a halogen-based fire suppression agent. It works by replacing the oxygen at the heart of a fire with nitrogen causing the flame to go out. This agent is effective against class A, B, and some class C fires.

It does not damage human-made materials or appliances designed to resist high temperatures. It has an ozone depletion effect and must be disposed of accordingly. However, this agent does not leave any residue when extinguished. It is toxic if inhaled but otherwise harmless after exposure.

Sulfur dioxides: These agents consist of a mixture of sulfur oxides that can produce very toxic gases upon combustion.

Why is it not recommended to use water in live electric firefighting?

Electrical fires must be extinguished using a non-conductive material, as opposed to the water or foam found in class A fire extinguishers. Because water is conductive, there is a great risk of electrocution if someone attempts to extinguish an electrical fire with it. Conductors such as metal parts of appliances or equipment will cause electricity to flow through them to the ground if they are wet.

The best method for preventing electrical shock is to never come in contact with any live current. This means that no one should be near a power outlet without proper protection or insulation. If you are working on a circuit that has power going into something metallic, such as a light fixture, then you should take special care not to get any of this current onto your body.

If someone else is also working on a circuit and they touch a conductor such as a metal part of a light fixture then they could be sent up in an electrical storm. They would need to be protected too so they can reach things off the floor or ceiling. Open circuits cannot be broken by force; therefore, if anyone is working on a circuit and it feels like it might be completed, they should wait for an expert to arrive before trying to finish connecting everything up.

In conclusion, it is not recommended to use water to fight electrical fires because it is conductive.

About Article Author

Maria Mccluer

Maria Mccluer is a crafty, coupon-clipping cat who loves to find ways to save money. She's the kind of person who has an entire notebook dedicated to coupons, and she's constantly coming up with new ways to use them. She also enjoys reading about other people's experiences with DIY projects - from fixing up old furniture to making their own cleaners.

Disclaimer

GrowTown.org is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Related posts